314-863-2700 314-863-2700

Missouri Trusts and Estates Attorneys Helping You Plan

Preserving your family’s wealth for future generations

Whether you are designating how your affairs and finances will be handled in the event of your disability, or establishing support for loved ones upon your death, Dearing & Hartzog, L.C.can help with all aspects of trusts and estates issues, including:

  • Estate planning
  • Wills
  • Living Trusts
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Guardianships and conservatorships
  • Health Care Directives and Powers of Attorney for Health Care (Living Wills)
  • Choosing the appropriate personal representative or trustee
  • Estate tax issues

Securing your legacy

You work hard for your family, so knowing that you have planned for their long-term well-being and financial security can bring you comfort. The lawyers at Dearing & Hartzog, L.C. thoroughly analyze your estate and strategize the best means of transferring your assets, establishing guardianship for your children, caring for your pets, supporting personal philanthropic causes and protecting your loved ones.

Draft your last will and testament and/or trust

Your last will  (and a living trust, where appropriate) provides the opportunity to distribute your property, establish care for your children and otherwise express your wishes upon your death. A will or trust (or appropriate forms of beneficiary designations on assets to the extent you have assets with respect to which such designations are available) is necessary if you intend to leave property to a person or entity other than a spouse or blood relative, such as a friend or a charity. If you die without estate planning, state law dictates how your property is distributed, and a court determines who cares for your children — making decisions that might not reflect your wishes. The firm can draft valid estate planning documents that accurately reflect your intentions.

Changing your estate plan

As your life changes, so might your estate plan. You may need to update your will, trust or power of attorney throughout your life. Dearing & Hartzog, L.C. can draft valid revisions to your estate planning documents or new documents that address changes in your financial situation, marital status, number of children, philanthropic interests and general lifestyle decisions.

Appointment of a guardian or conservator

If you have minor children, your will allows you to express your wishes about their future care, and to provide a mechanism for funds to be used for their care. This is especially crucial if you are a single parent or if both parents die in a common incident. If you do not name a guardian, the court will appoint a guardian for your children and can make decisions adverse to your ultimate parenting goals. If you do not provide for the establishment of a trust or other mechanism for the handling of the funds you leave for the care of such minor children in the event of your death, the court will appoint a conservator to administer the funds, and expenditures for such minor children will require court approval (all of which will also involve the payment of administrative costs).

Dearing & Hartzog, L.C. can also assist you if a guardian or conservator is needed for an elderly or disabled adult.

Contact an estate planning law firm you can trust, Dearing & Hartzog, L.C.

For estate planning services in Clayton and throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area, call Dearing & Hartzog, L.C. at 314-863-2700 or contact the firm online to schedule a free initial consultation.